Thursday, September 22, 2005

Football is Kicking Me in the...

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am uber-competitive. To a fault, really. Not one to back down from any challenge, I will learn a game overnight rather than admit I know nothing about it. If I know the game well, you can be sure I will practice until I master it to the best of my abilities.

I have always hung out with the boys and am fairly self-sufficient. When I go fishing, I bait my own hook and gut the fish myself. I can drink with the best of 'em. I will play football, baseball and floor hockey. I was on every conceivable sports team in school. Hell, when I was younger I played pool for a living, now I play poker. That alone speaks for itself.

I play to win, not to sit on the sidelines.

However, due to recent happenings in the NFL world, I find myself in unfamiliar territory. I am losing.

Really Losing.

That doesn't bode well with my psyche. My competitive nature has taken a virtual blow to the gut. I am second from last in the Pauly Pub Football Pool, and that just aint cool my friend. The really sad part is I actually watch football, and not that Canuck stuff, either. However, it just doesn't seem to matter so far this season.

I am the Bobby Baldwin of Sports Bettors.

I feel as though I should have a bubble bath, dress in pink and watch some soap operas. Never before have I felt like such a girl in a man's world.

Time for a pep talk I think (or a whole damn rally) with myself. A little praying, maybe a sacrificial offering to the football gods is in order.

All I know is - it just aint cool.