Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Going to Vegas, and other non-poker related news


How can a post about going to Vegas be non-poker related? Well, it didn't start out that way.

I woke up this morning with the intention of writing a short entry about how I am ecstatic as all hell since I just found out I am going to Vegas next Thursday for 4 days. I sat down on the couch, coffee in hand, and went through my morning ritual of reading the news and the poker blogs I have bookmarked. When I found some news in particular, it changed my perspective on everything I was feeling today. (I don't believe that it is my place to reiterate it here, but if you read me, then you certainly read him and already know.)

The line that got me was - don't take anything for granted. Without getting into my whole life history, I had my daughter when I was 20, and was, from the beginning, a single mom. I had tremendous family support, but remained alone otherwise. Every day was a struggle in one way or another, either financially, mentally, or physically, but I wouldn't change a minute of it if I could, and always appreciated the good things I did have in my life. Four years ago I began dating a co-worker/friend of mine that I had known for several years. We fell in love, lived together for three years, and last May we got married in Las Vegas with my now-12 year old daughter as my maid of honor. We have bought our first house, live a comfortable life, and travel alot. I am able to play poker for a living, and have the freedom to write, paint, and do all the other things that make me who I am. I try daily not to take any of that for granted.

The honeymoon was over before it began though, as he is a computer contractor, and started a job 300 miles out of our city shortly after we got married. For three or four months we lived for weekends, as that was the only time we got to spend together. Things got worse however, when his next job was 2700 miles away, across the country. He has been there for five months now, and I only see him, at best, every three weeks. We are planning to move there (or wherever his work takes him), however we don't want to make a rash decision selling the house here until we know that the employment possibilities are at least semi-permanent. (Momma, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys...or computer contractors.)

We decided that instead of him flying home, or my daughter and I going there this time, that just he and I would meet in Vegas for a bit of R&R. Other than obviously missing him and being excited about seeing him, one of my underlying thoughts was - cool, I can go play some poker tournaments as well while I am there. Though that was never the main reason I was excited about going, sometimes we need a reminder as to what is really important. I am sad that it had to be through someone else's tragedy that I was reminded about appreciating the time that we have with our loved ones.

Even though I know we will, I now honestly don't care if I touch a card or see a single sight the entire time I am there. I am just thankful that I get to spend more time with him, regardless of where we are.

Put some positive energy out there in the world today and see how far it goes. There are those who need it today, and when you are the one in need, it will find its way back to you.