Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thanks

So I had every intention of writing a recap of Okie Vegas tonight, but something kept stopping me. I had to dig really deep (and I am really not that deep) only to realize that no matter what I say, no matter which words I choose to describe it - you aren't going to get the true essence of what it is like to actually be there.

How can I describe what it is like to finally meet Surflexus? He is genuinely one of the nicest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. He and I go back years and years, and I know his game better than almost anyone's. I was taken aback by his skill at the final table of the tournament, and felt privileged just to be among the top four standing.

Then there is 23Skidoo, who I have known for almost as long yet never met live either. We have had many moments - but there is nothing quite like finally looking your friend in the eye, putting a face to the name, and finally getting that hug that has been coming for way too long.

Maudie deserves her own special section. She was the very first blogger I ever met, way back in 2005, and I love her to death. People are wrong when they say that Ozzie's is Oklahoma's best kept secret - it is this woman.

I am not a vain person, but there is something to be said about waking up on the couch (with no hair done, no makeup, in your PJ's) feeling very insecure, yet surrounded by bloggers who really couldn't give a shit what you looked like, just happy that you were there.

There are those who show up not wanting to leave anyone behind. They have presents or bounties for anyone who happened to make it, regardless of how well they knew that person.

There is also something to be said about someone who has been your wingman (woman) for the past 3 years and forgives all that you may do, causes shit of her own, and carries on without the blink of an eye or the handicap of a very sore ankle.

There are very few people who can take the kind of abuse I deal out at the poker table gracefully, catching exactly what I needed to at the right time, regardless of how donkey my play was...and still give me a hug and not hate me for it afterwards.

There are even less people who can be so humble to not even realize that their little corner of the world is something not only to embrace, but to emulate, and the fact that they are willing to share it with the world (our world) is a true gift to the rest of us.

I don't know many people who can listen to months and months of me spewing on and on about my skill at Guitar Hero, then not only Pwning me at the game, but letting me believe that I really wasn't that far behind. Further to that, I know even less who will sit there and keep me company for hours as I debate about taking a cat named Yoda across International borders, just because I quite simply can't let her go.

Even more rare are the people that you just simply love on sight. He told me to call him Beer Bitch, and though hesitant at first, I quickly warmed up to the title as I realized I didn't have to lift an un-manicured nail to get Any. Damn. Thing. I. Wanted. You had my back, Turd Chaser, and I will forever have yours.

How is it possible to let the rest of the world know that when Double-D sings, there is an angel in heaven who wipes her brow and says "Whew - I have the day off - my work here is done"

How do you describe reading the absolute insanity that is someone's day to day life, knowing there is no possible way to relate, and just hope that you can have a somewhat intelligent conversation with this person, only to find out that he is just as cool and awesome as anyone else in the room?

I am humbled.

I am grateful.

I am in awe.

I am appreciative.

I never knew that I had friends like you, and I am thankful, more than I can express on here, and more than you will ever know. You all rock.